1 a share set aside for a specific purpose [syn: allocation]
2 the act of distributing by allotting or apportioning; distribution according to a plan; "the apportionment of seats in the House of Representatives is based on the relative population of each state" [syn: apportionment, apportioning, allocation, parceling, parcelling, assignation]
EtymologyCf. OF. alotement, French allotement.
PronunciationIPA: WEAE /ʌˈlot.mɛnt/
- The act of allotting; assignment.
- That which is allotted; a share, part, or portion granted or distributed; that which is assigned by lot, or by the act of God; anything set apart for a special use or to a distinct party.
- The allowance of a specific amount of scrip or of a particular thing to a particular person.
Allotment may refer to:
- Allotment (gardening), in the United Kingdom, a small area of land, let out at a nominal yearly rent by local government or independent allotment associations, for individuals to grow their own food
- Allotment (financial), a method of distributing securities to investors when an issue has been oversubscribed.
- Sortition, also
known as allotment, is a method of selection by some form of
lottery such as drawing coloured pebbles from a bag.
- In Athenian democracy, allotment was the principle form of democratic choice with most magistrates and their large juries chosen this way; the Athenians considered allotment to be more democratic than elections.
- Dawes General Allotment Act, a United States legislation of 1887 authorizing the President to survey Native American land and divide the arable area into allotments for the individual Native American.
- Soil Conservation and Domestic Allotment Act, United States legislation of 1935 allowing the government to pay farmers to reduce production
- The Allotment, a 1988 book by Colin Ward
- A neighbourhood in a suburban area.
C ration, K ration, aid, alimony, allocation, allowance, annuity, appointment, apportionment, appropriation, arrangement, array, arraying, assignment, assistance, big end, bigger half, bit, bite, board, bounty, budget, chunk, collation, collocation, commission, commons, constitution, contingent, cut, deal, depletion allowance, deployment, destiny, disposal, disposition, distribution, dividend, dole, earmarking, emergency rations, end, equal share, fate, fellowship, field rations, financial assistance, form, formation, formulation, grant, grant-in-aid, guaranteed annual income, half, halver, help, helping, interest, kitchen garden, lot, market garden, marshaling, meals, measure, meed, mess, modicum, moiety, old-age insurance, order, ordering, part, patch, pecuniary aid, pension, percentage, piece, placement, plot, portion, price support, proportion, public assistance, public welfare, quantum, quota, rake-off, ration, rations, regimentation, relief, retirement benefits, scholarship, segment, setting aside, share, short commons, slice, small share, stake, stipend, stock, structuring, subsidization, subsidy, subvention, support, syntax, tagging, tax benefit, tract, truck garden, tucker, welfare, welfare aid, welfare payments